Coming to study at one of London’s prestigious universities will be the best move you ever make.
Whether you’re moving into a halls of residence or a student accommodation, you’ll want all the help you can get to make your university your new home.
So, read on for the best tricks and tips for moving to London as a student.
Break your packing down room by room and you’ll have a set of smaller jobs to complete. This is a trick to make your brain motivated to pack. Buy some cardboard boxes, label them with the various rooms and cherry pick your essential items.
Call us on 020 3858 6993 for a free quote.
To help you out, we’ve compiled a list for each room below, or you can download our checklist to print and use!
The Perfect London Student Accommodation
You’ll obviously want to take bed stuff. Let’s start with:
- A duvet
- Bed sheets, duvet covers and pillow cases (x2)
Tip: buy all the above for a double bed. Even though your first year dorms will likely have a single bed, second and third year houses will usually have double beds. This saves you buying these items twice over. Plus, a double duvet makes a single bed very cosy. Perfect for sharing on those cold winter’s nights.
- A door stop
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry bag
- Cleaning products
- Clothes horse
- Ear plugs
- First aid kit and basic medical supplies (painkillers)
- Condoms and contraceptives
- Toiletries – shower gel, soap, hair conditioner, shampoo, moisturiser, toothpaste and toothbrush. Essentially your everyday bathroom items.
- Towels and hand towels
- Plates and bowls (x2)
- Coffee cups
- Cutlery: knives, teaspoons, tablespoons, forks (x2)
- Kitchen utensils: wooden spoons, spatula, scissors, colander
- Student recipe book
- Weighing scales
- Chopping board and sharp knives
- Cheese grater
- Casserole dish
- Baking tray
- Frying pan/skillet
- Pots and pans
- Tea towels
Other essentials for the Accommodation
- Important documents
- National Insurance card
- NHS card and number
- Driving licence
- Insurance documents for car or home contents
- Confirmation letters for scholarships or bursaries
- Acceptance letter for your university
- Card reader for online banking
- Chargers for electronics and extension leads to make up for a lack of power outlets
- CV and references
- Travel discount cards/Oyster card (London)
- Formal clothes for winter balls, summer balls, graduation and many other formal events
- A pack of cards
- A weekend bag for trips back home
- Wall art
- Diffuser, essential oils burner or room spray to keep your new home smelling fresh
Don’t forget! Use our printable checklist to ensure you have everything you need!
South London Movers are London’s finest removals team operating throughout the capital. We specialise in professional, reliable moves and apply our 20 years of experience to ensure 100% client satisfaction. Click here to book the service.
Our fully insured moves guarantee that your possessions are safe with us, get in touch today if you’re looking to make student removals in London a piece of cake.